Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Introduction Blog

My project is the conservation of species in the islands on the Seychelles. I start my project on the island of Mahe and then travel to Praslin and La Digue. On these islands in the first ten days on my project I will be collecting the data of the beach levels to see the changes of oceans levels in comparison to previous years. Afterwards, I will travel to the island Curieuse where I will spend the last month of my time away for my project. Here, I will collect the majority of my research on the Coco de Mer, mangroves, beach levels, sea turtles, land tortoises, birds, sickle-fin lemon sharks.  After I complete my research in the Seychelles, I plan to obtain the research collected by this group in previous years and compare it to what I find in my research. On top of this, I will compare the changes that I found with the data collected in other islands such as Hawaii, Malicious, the Philippines etc.  I think that this is an important topic to research because global warming is a pressing issue and the effects that the changes global warming causes to species on tropical islands. I think it is also important to talk to the local people in the Seychelles and see how these changes in the environment effect their lives.


My in-school advisor is Mr. Bayer, who was very enthusiastic about the idea of my research project. My one-site advisor is Brooklyn Norton, who has done the research trip I am doing twice, works now for the research group I am working with.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Can you share a map of the Seychelles showing the islands you will be working on?

    ReplyDelete