Friday, February 3, 2017

Blog Entry Two

Week 2 (Jan. 30- Feb. 3)


This week was one for the books. I spent the week on the island La Digue which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. On this island I had the chance to submerge myself in the Seychellois culture. I spent the week living with a local family, having the chance to discuss the changes they have seen over the years. On this island there is no cars. Transportation is strictly bikes and carts pulled by oxen. I learned the way that the amount of trash was getting so out of hand that the local fishermen were finding suffocated sea turtles and fish scattered over the beaches everywhere. Recently, the island has become much more strict on the littering because the oceans are such a cherished gem for the local people. Some of the locals who have never left this island, 9 kilometers long, took the time to show me the hidden paradises on this island, including Anse Coco, a beach that was a four hour hike there but such a stunning sight. Its burdening to learn about the chance that has been noticeable, like the changing water temperature that has killed much of the fish population and bleached most of the coral reefs. I was able to measure the change in water levels here and the amount of beach lost in the last 10 years was roughly six feet. I learned that almost 90% of the corals reefs in the Seychelles have been declared dead due to the rapid change in water climate. I met so many wonderful people when I was there, being able to pick up a game of soccer on the beach with the local kids. I learned the common art of how to fish for octopus, although I was unable to catch any.

This research project, although only a third of the way done, has become so much more to me than just researching the wildlife on these islands. It has given me the chance to learn and grow as a person in a totally different culture. The many people I've met so far have been beyond nice in helping me and making my experience in the Seychelles the best it could be. I also made more canine friends than I could ever imagine!

Tomorrow I embark on my next adventure to the island Curieuse, where I will be spending the majority of the rest of the time I have left here in the Seychelles. This island is a national reserve so it will be just me and the other people accompanying me with conducting all this research. I got a brief history lesson about Curieuse from the man I was staying with. On that island is where the French used to send those with leprosy. There is a hospital on the island built for the patients that is now preserved as a historical marker. Many of the locals never travel to the island due to the legends of it being haunted.

I think the next four weeks contain a unique experience for me and I look forward to what will come next.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!! I know you are learning so much. On the next island, will you be measuring the same things? Or switching to more of the wildlife?

    And, the teacher in me has to ask that you go back through and correct your typos..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides the dying of the coral reefs, has there been a noticeable change in the populations of the species that take shelter in the reefs? And what kinds of animals would usually live in the reefs in the Seychelles?

    And I'll be really disappointed in you if you don't go inside that hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the species population has changed. The fish populations have decreased immensely and most of the remaining sea life is mostly just kelp and sea urchins. There is a documentary on the oceans in the Seychelles before the deaths of all the coral reefs by Jacque Cousteau that blows my mind how much it has changed.

      I'm actually living in the hospital but I will make sure to include pictures next week!

      Delete
  3. Does the six feet of beach loss mean six square feet total or six feet less beach all around the island? Awesome photos! I'm glad you're having a good time. I'd also like to hear about the hospital you'll be able to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 feet around the island and the hospital is actually my new home so I'll make sure to include some pictures of it next week!

      Delete